We received a lot of feedback on how we would ensure that Shelly Bay Taikuru is a sustainable community. In the same way that The Wellington Company developed the first 5-Star Green Building in New Zealand, Shelly Bay Taikuru will become New Zealand’s first large scale Green Star Community.
Shelly Bay Taikuru will therefore be truly sustainable, and we will be doing our bit to make a positive impact on the environment
The Green Star - Communities rating tool was originally developed by the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) and was adapted to NZ by the NZ Green Building Council in 2016, ensuring even more New Zealanders are able to live, work and play in sustainable places.
Green Star - Communities assesses projects against a holistic set of distinct social, environmental and economic categories:
- Governance: (aims to ensure Green Star – Communities projects have a strong governance framework in place by setting benchmarks that encourage developers to operate transparently:
- Liveability: (aims to ensure development projects are diverse, affordable, safe, inclusive and improve the wellbeing of those that live, work and play within them),
- Economic prosperity: (aims to ensure development projects facilitate business diversity, education, skills development and productivity,
- Environment: (aims to ensure development projects are less resource intensive and prioritise practices that reduce a community’s impact on land, water and the atmosphere),
- Innovation: (promotes holistic sustainable solutions in the built environment, and encourages projects in investing resources into valuable outcomes).
The Green Star – Communities rating tool helps both governments and development teams aiming to deliver sustainable communities around New Zealand to provide diverse, affordable, inclusive and healthy places to live, work and play.Visit the New Zealand Green Building Council for more information on this www.nzgbc.org.nz